It’s that time of year again... our favourite - pumpkin time! We absolutely love pumpkins here in the Bird & Blend Nest and what better way to start the day than with some deliciously fluffy, (healthy!) Spiced Pumpkin Pie pancakes accompanied with our Spiced Pumpkin Pie cuppa?! We’re in pumpkin heaven!
What you will need:
- 75g spelt flour
- 50g oats
- 75g pumpkin purée
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3tbsp unrefined golden caster sugar
- 1/4tsp cinnamon
- 1tbsp syrup topper of your choice (we use maple syrup!)
- 1tbsp sunflower spread
- 225ml plant milk
- Coconut oil
What to do:
1. Start by making the pumpkin puree by peeling and cutting 75g of pumpkin into chunks and boil them in water for 10 minutes until soft. Cool, then puree to a creamy consistency using a stick blender.
2. Put the oats into a processor and blend into a scruffy oat flour.
3. Put the flour, oat flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg into a bowl and give it a rough mix.
4. Now for an extra special Bird & Blend twist, brew 4 perfect teaspoons on Spiced Pumpkin Pie Tea in 225ml of warm plant milk for 4 minutes, strain into a jug and then add maple syrup, melted sunflower spread, and pumpkin puree. Mix until it’s all well combined.
To make life a bit easier in store, we use our Brewdini Gravity Steepers to brew our loose leaf tea- it's quick and easy to use with no mess!
5. Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix using a balloon whisk to avoid lumps. Leave to sit for 5 – 10 minutes.
6. Put half a teaspoon of coconut oil in a frying pan and heat then pour some of the pumpkin batter into the pan. Cook the pancakes on a medium to high heat for about 1-2 minutes on each side. When bubbles form and the edge looks nice and golden, the pancake is ready to flip.
7. Serve with your choice of syrup drizzled all over, and if you’re feeling especially adventurous, pair it with a cup of Pumpkin Spiced Latte!